KM Training and Professional Development Portal
The Pathway to a KM Specialist
The KM Specialist plays a very important role in your organization. After completing the 3-week Army KM Qualification Course where they learn how KM helps facilitate shared understanding to improve organizational effectiveness, they are able to apply their skills and knowledge across their organization. As a KM Specialist, you will participate and lead the following:
- Plan and Organize a KM Working Group
- Assess the Common Operational Picture
- Refine Common Operational Picture
- Perform Specialty Roles in Continuous Process Improvement, Content Management, Metrics Design, Data Architecture, and Knowledge Visualization
- Executes KM policies and plans as directed by the KMO/CKO and Commander
- Facilitates and participates in the KMWG
- Develops the organization’s KM training program
- Maps the organization’s KM network
- Develops, organizes, and supervises content management efforts
- Identifies trends, observations, insights, and lessons
***Must complete the Army 3-week KM Qualification Course
- KM Overview (Self-paced, 2 hrs)
- Army KM Basics Course (Self-paced, 3-5 days)
- KM Electives (Online, self-paced; varies)
Explore KM Career Pathways to learn the steps to achieve your KM career goals!
KM Representatives are usually the first responders to KM issues and are well-versed in their organization’s collaborative processes. They have technical skills or special training in KM and want to improve the organization and be creative and critical thinkers.
A KM Specialist provides leadership in the use of traditional and digital learning approaches to develop and implement innovative, creative, and effective strategies to capture, interpret, and share technical knowledge.
The KM Officer directs the KM section. The KM Officer ensures the processes and procedures are understood in the unit.
A Chief Knowledge Officer is an individual who has knowledge of organizational learning, knowledge architecture, knowledge asset management, knowledge technology, and innovation.